In 1866, Union Veterans from the Civil War organized into the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.). In 1881 the G.A.R. formed the Sons of Veterans of the United States of America (SV) to carry on its traditions and memory long after the G.A.R. had ceased to exist. In 1925 the SV name was changed to Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW), under which a Federal charter was issued on August 20, 1954. The SUVCW was officially recognized by the passing of Public Law 605 of the second session of the 83rd Congress. as the heir to, and representative of the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.). Our modern day mission is historic, ceremonial, and commemorative.
Today, the National Organization of the SUVCW, headed by an annually elected Commander-in-Chief, oversees the operation of 26 Departments, and over 200 community based Camps. The SUVCW National Headquarters is located in the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.